Applications Lead Assistant Principal
The role reports to the Head of Digital and is responsible for leading the analysis, design and implementation of new digital solutions using bespoke and commercial off-the-shelf software, the migration of legacy technologies to modern solutions, the support and maintenance of digital services, and the management of a small applications team, vendors, stakeholders and budget.
The Applications Lead role is both technical and business facing and is seen as a source of technical expertise whilst inputting into operational and strategic organisational decisions. The role drives digital transformation by leading the implementation of digital services, contributing to the design and adoption of modern user-centric business processes, and following a co-creation agile approach to change.
Key Responsibilities & Deliverables
- Manage the creation, delivery, operation and support of enterprise grade digital services using be-spoke software development and off-the-shelf software solutions across a broad range of technologies.
- Produce high quality digital solutions by adopting appropriate quality assurance processes.
- Contributing to the architecting of solutions to business requirements and technical problems.
- Effectively manage a programme of inflight projects and supporting resources.
- Promote the use of user-centric, co-creation, agile and DevOps project delivery methodology to support continuous integration and continuous delivery of solutions.
- Support legacy solutions and contribute to their migration to modern tooling and services, including public cloud.
- Proactively contribute to the opportunities that IT can bring to the business, bringing a knowledge of the art of the possible to how processes can be digitally transformed.
- Contribute to the development and adoption of IT governance, policies and procedures to improve operational effectiveness, decision making, and reduce risk.
- Manage the day to day running of an applications team, maximising the contribution of the team as a whole and fostering a positive and dynamic environment.
- Build the expertise in the applications team by promoting learning and development opportunities.
- Lead by example by demonstrating a commitment to public service values.
- Proactively engage with a wide variety of stakeholders, from judiciary, staff and legal practitioners to state bodies in order to ensure digital solutions provided deliver value.
- Establish and participate in working groups, workshops and other fora as required to advance the digital agenda.
- Support the team’s activity by participating in procurement initiatives to source products and services required.
- Provide technical input into procurement initiatives being run by other teams across the organisation.
- Actively manage vendors, ensuring that they adhere to the principals of the organisation, and carry out their tasks in a manner that is compatible with the policies and procedures of the organisation.
- Actively monitor the performance of vendors, value for money and introduce corrective procedures when appropriate.
- Manage the spend of the Applications team by producing budget spend estimates, tracking spend in a timely manner, and ensuring spend anomalies are dealt with in line with organisational procedures.
Note, the above is intended as a guide and is neither definitive nor restrictive. It will be subject to periodic review with the post holder.